Parks & Recreation System Plan
The City of Chanhassen is in the process of planning for the future of its park and recreation system. The process will last approximately one year and will engage the community at various points during the project.
In fall of 2016, the City of Chanhassen conducted initial community engagement efforts in order to ensure the System Plan is reflective of community needs and desires. This phase of engagement included in-person stakeholder meetings and pop-up meetings, as well as four online engagement exercises including a general community questionnaire, questionnaires geared toward the recreation and senior centers, and an interactive software that allowed users to leave comments directly on a map. This phase of engagement informed the development of draft recommendations for the System Plan.
This spring, the community continued to be engaged in the park and recreation system planning process and have displayed a lot of passion for the spaces they use in the community. This phase of community engagement was intended to verify whether the draft recommendations of the System Plan were in line with the needs and desires of the community. The open house held on April 6th at the Chanhassen Recreation Center attracted over 70 passionate community members. In addition, the online Social PinPoint map that provided an interactive version of the initiatives proposed in the draft System Plan received over 500 visits and almost 200 comments.
A summary of findings from each of these engagement techniques can be found in the links below. Check back for a draft version of the System Plan coming this summer!
Advisory Committee Meetings
- Advisory Committee Meeting #1: Agenda & Packet
- Advisory Committee Meeting #1: Notes
- Advisory Committee Meeting #2: Agenda & Packet
- Advisory Committee Meeting #2: Notes
- Advisory Committee Meeting #3: Agenda & Packet
- Advisory Committee Meeting #3: Notes
- Advisory Committee Meeting #4: Agenda & Packet
- Advisory Committee Meeting #4: Notes
- Advisory Committee Meeting #5: Agenda & Packet
What is a Park System Plan?
- A document that serves as a comprehensive guide to park employees and City decision makers
- It contains a long-range (10-25 years) vision and guide for parks, recreation, natural areas, and trails
- Directs City leaders in future decisions about park and recreation investments
- Includes actions to ensure the parks and recreation system meets community needs now and in the future
- Provides guidance on planning for maintenance and equipment replacement
What does the Chanhassen Park & Recreation Department do?
- Recommends funding direction and facility development to the Parks Commission, which makes the ultimate decisions
- 11 full time employees and several seasonal and part-time employees work to provide facilities, maintain parks and trails, and run recreation programs and community-wide events
- Operates the Chanhassen Recreation Center
- Builds new parks and trails
- Maintains natural open space in the community