ACT on Alzheimer's
ACT on Alzheimer's is a volunteer-driven collaboration bringing communities together to create supportive environments for everyone touched by Alzheimer's disease.
Since November 2015, 18 members from various sectors of the Chanhassen community have been meeting monthly as an ACT on Alzheimer's ACTion Team. The following is a snapshot of activities that are currently underway:
- Develop and implement community education in partnership with Alzheimer’s Association and Eastern Carver County Community Education
- Host a screening of “Every Minute Counts” in Chanhassen for the general public
- Plan and implement Dementia Friends in Chanhassen
- Develop a comprehensive resource guide
- Explore the idea of a drop-in center for care partners and people living with dementia
November is National Alzheimer's Awareness Month
President Ronald Reagan designated November as National Alzheimer's Awareness Month in 1983. At the time, fewer than 2 million Americans had Alzheimer's; today, the number of people with the disease has soared to nearly 5.4 million. Our Act on Alzheimer’s ACTion Team is dedicated to providing awareness programs every month of the year. You can get involved and help raise your understanding and awareness by attending the FREE programs offered by the city and its partners.
Link to 2018 Programs
Information Table at the Chanhassen Library
The Act on Alzheimer's team will also be staffing a table at the Chanhassen Library to provide information and resources on Alzheimer’s Disease and Memory Loss. A volunteer from the ACTion Team will be available to answer questions and offer information. No appointment is necessary, just stop by to chat and gather information for yourself or a friend. This is also a great way to learn more about Chanhassen’s initiative to become a Dementia Friendly community, and how you can be involved. For more information, please contact the Chanhassen Senior Center at 952-227-1125. The table will be staffed from 1:00pm-3:00pm, on the following Wednesdays this fall: Sept 12, Oct 3, Oct 17, Nov 7, Nov 14, Nov 21 and Nov 28.
- ACT on Alzheimer's website
- Chanhassen Community Dementia Friendly Actions
- Dementia Friendly Communities
- What You Should Know About Normal Aging and Memory
- What To Do When you are Concerned About Your Memory
- What To Know When You Have Mild Cognitive Impairment or Dementia
- What To Know and Do When Someone Close to You Has Dementia
- What Community Can Do To Support People With Memory Loss