On-Sale Intoxicating Liquor License


Granted only to hotels, bowling centers, clubs, restaurants, and exclusive liquor stores. A license shall be issued to clubs and congressionally chartered veterans' organizations if they have been in existence for at least three years and liquor sales will only be to members and bona fide guests. On-sale licenses will only be issued to exclusive liquor stores that were licensed on January 1, 2000.

Application Procedure

A public hearing with the City Council is required prior to issuance of a liquor license in the city.  A legal notice will be published in the local newspaper and all property owners within 500 feet of the site will be notified by mail at least 10 days in advance of the public hearing.  City Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Mondays of each month, except in December when there is only one meeting held on the second Monday.

Submit the following at least 30 days prior to the desired City Council meeting date:

  • Application Form (Part I)
  • Personal History Form (Part II)*
    *A Personal History Form must be filled out by each individual, partner, or officer in the corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship, AND the designated Operating Manager of the restaurant where intoxicating liquor will be sold. This information is used to conduct criminal history, outstanding warrants, and driving record investigations on the applicant.
  • Certificate of Compliance Minnesota Workers' Compensation Law Form
  • Employee Training Form*
    *City Code requires that all employees be trained about liquor laws before they begin work and annually thereafter.
  • Detailed floor plan of the space
  • $250 payable to the City of Chanhassen for Background Investigations

If the license is approved by the City Council, the following must be submitted:

  • Certification of an On Sale Liquor License form
  • Certificate of Insurance indicating liquor liability, general liability, and workers compensation insurance. The liquor liability insurance must meet minimum state requirements and have an expiration date of April 30 (license term runs May 1 through April 30 annually) OR contain the phrase "Coverage is continuous until cancelled." The City of Chanhassen must be named as an additional insured and the trade name (DBA) and physical address of the business must be shown on the certificate.
  • Annual License Fee payable to the City of Chanhassen (determined by floor area as shown below. An additional $200 is required for Sunday Sales.
    • $6,115 for 3,000 square feet or less
    • $9,609 for 3,001-6,000 square feet
    • $13,104 for over 6,000 square feet
  • Completed Buyer's Card Application and a $20 check made payable to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Once these documents are received, they will be sent to the State of Minnesota, Department of Public Safety, Liquor Control Division for final review.