Per Chapter 10, Article IV of the Chanhassen City Code, all for-profit door-to-door solicitors selling products or services are required to register with the city and display a city-issued photo ID badge.

The following groups are exempt from having to register with the city and are not required to carry a Chanhassen solicitor photo ID badge:

  • Religious
  • Charitable
  • Non-profit organizations


Door-to-door solicitation hours are between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.

The solicitor photo ID badge issued by the City of Chanhassen is not an endorsement of the solicitor's product. The objective of the ordinance is to aid the city in monitoring the activity of door-to-door solicitation.


Immediately call 911 to report the following violations:
  • A solicitor selling for a profit organization who does not display the Chanhassen solicitor photo ID badge.
  • A solicitor refuses to leave property after you have told them to leave.
  • Be careful of whom you let in your home.
  • Remind your teenage children on how to deal with strangers and rules of safety, as they may answer the door when you're not home.
  • If you do not wish to receive solicitors, posting a sign stating, "Peddlers and Solicitors Prohibited" is enforceable per Chanhassen ordinance. The sign must be at least 3¾ inches long by 3¾ inches in height and the printing shall not be smaller than 48 point type font. The city has FREE vinyl window clings available as shown and can be obtained by picking one up at city hall or by calling 952-227-1180.
solicitor badge.jpg
solicitors window cling.jpg

How to Obtain a Solicitor's Permit

A solicitor’s permit is required when any person or business goes door-to-door or business-to-business requesting donations or taking orders for any goods or wares. This does not apply to political campaigns. To obtain a solicitor’s permit, fill out the application form. In addition, each person soliciting must fill out the Tennessen Warning forms for Data Privacy purposes.

If you have any questions, please contact Colleen Martino at 952-227-1183.