The City of Chanhassen operates under the "Optional Plan B" form of government as authorized by Minnesota state statutes. Under this plan, the elected City Council consists of a mayor and four council members. Members are elected at-large and serve 4-year terms on a staggered schedule. Elections are held in even-numbered years and coincide with the general election conducted in November.
Responsibilities The City Council is the legislative and policy-making body for the city. Their duties include:
- Adopt and direct the enforcement of ordinances
- Appoints commissions, advisory boards, and the City Manager
- Guides development in accordance with the Comprehensive Plan
- Manages the city’s financial operations by levying taxes, approving budgets, auditing expenditures, and borrowing money.
The City Manager appoints all other city staff.
- 7:00 pm
- Second and fourth Mondays of each month
- Council Chambers at city hall
- 2019 Meeting Calendar
- Guidelines for Visitor Presentations
- Elise Ryan, Mayor
- Bethany Tjornhom
- Jerry McDonald
- Julia Coleman
- Dan Campion
Agendas & Minutes
Click on the button to sign up with your email and/or cell phone number to receive notifications when agendas, packets, minutes, and videos are posted on the website.
All City Council meetings are open to the public and are broadcast live on Cable Channel 8 and on the city's website.