Dear Chanhassen Residents,
I have received an incredible amount of emails and calls regarding masks. Due to the sheer volume, I have not had an opportunity to respond to all of you, but I do appreciate your questions and input. Does Chanhassen have a mask mandate?
Will Chanhassen take action at future meetings to mandate masks?
- No, we do not. At our City Council meeting on Monday, July13th, no formal action was taken as we were awaiting any action from the Governor’s Office.
Why not a mask mandate?
- At our meeting on Monday, July 27th, the Council will consider a resolution strongly encouraging Chanhassen residents and visitors to wear masks in city facilities, indoor buildings, or spaces where an individual can’t social distance. I support mask wearing in public but have concerns about the enforcement of mandates that are inconsistent from one jurisdiction to the next.
As Mayor, why don’t you mandate masks?
- City Council has not yet discussed this topic. If the majority of City Council determines a mandate is warranted, it will be voted on at our July 27th meeting.
Is this political?
- I prefer “strongly recommending” masks be worn versus a mandate. Mandates are only effective if they are enforced. While our law enforcement could certainly give warnings, I do not believe in fining residents or visitors for not wearing masks. Additionally, I don’t want to encourage individuals taking enforcement into their own hands when law enforcement is not present.
- Businesses are creating mask policies that work best for their operation. I support their right to refuse service to those who do not follow their policy. If there are issues, our law enforcement will respond to their call to enforce any infraction. Many of our local businesses are making masks a requirement.
- If the Governor decides on a statewide mandate Chanhassen will follow this order as we have all of the Executive Orders.
- No. I wear a mask as do my children when we go inside public places. As I say to my daughters, “don’t make me ask, just wear your mask”.
- I wear a mask to help slow the spread of this disease in the hope of reopening our businesses fully and protecting those around me.
- There are strong feelings on this topic, but for me it is about enforcement. I simply don’t want this to become a policing issue, thus I believe in a strong recommendation versus a mandate.
Again, thank you for your emails, calls, and messages.